Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Night Shift

It's been way too long since I've blogged.
And it's way too late to write something profound.
I have a big day ahead tomorrow and another the next.
Every investigation I go to in the field, requires an immediate follow-up, written report.
So the work merely begins when I'm on scene. It finishes sometimes in the wee hours of the night....
or just as dawn is breaking.
The night shift is when the world is asleep.
The phones aren't ringing.
There are no text or emails.
Even Facebook posters have mostly gone silent.
Evenings are prime time for P.I.'s.
The darkness, the silence, the shadows hold the truths, and the time required to uncover them.
So as I am writing up cases tonight, cases I will deliver to an attorney tomorrow, I am thinking of the victims I am working for -- the people who are so injured, so wounded. --  that each wept while they told me the tragic series of events that became the basis of their respective personal injury claims.
I tell these people I admire and respect them for hiring an attorney who'll fight by their side for their right to be made whole again
They inspired me to share this quote on this blog tonight.
I've carried it with me forever.
It's by Teddy Roosevelt.
For those of you too young to know of him... he was a US president... not a bear.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows great enthusiasms, great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
       - Theodore Roosevelt 

No comments:

Post a Comment