Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Today's Slice Of A PI's Life

"Before he stabbed me, he told me he loved me," she said.
"The second time he stabbed me,"  she continued from her hospital bed while I captured her every word with my speed-demon pen, "that's when he said if he couldn't have me, no one would."

So when he left her, motionless in a pool of her own blood, he thought she really was dead.
And he probably thought his mission was accomplished. Now, no one would have her, except the coroner.
Wrong.
She was smart and just pretended to be dead.
See, it's not always as easy to kill a person as one might think.
There's a lot to be said for the will to survive and the power of the mind over body.

She lived to tell me, the police, other investigators and ultimately, a jury her story.
He was convicted,  locked up in prison..... but he will get out one day.
By then, she said, she will be out of state, in a secret location with a new name and social security number.
 I'm writing this recollection now because I am heading over to the same prison the guy who stabbed this woman is at. He doesn't know me because my profile was kept low in the case that convicted him.
Not that it would matter anyway.
I'll be there to interview a different prisoner, on a different case, in one of those rooms with the glass and the telephones.

Meantime, I've left Detective Mittens in charge of the shop.
Hopefully, he'll behave himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment