Monday, June 20, 2011

First Email to "Dear Private Eye" from "Woman Scorned"

My very first Dear Private Eye email arrived. So here we go!
Please keep the emails coming, I'll keep the blog going while I write my book.
I promise to protect your privacy and I so appreciate your trust in helping me launch this concept.
Thank you, "Woman Scorned."

Dear Private Eye:

      I am in the middle of an a divorce.  I discovered my husband has been having an affair with a secretary who has worked for him for at least a year.
      I wonder if there is any way I might access this woman's bank account to find out whether he has been giving her money or buying her gifts? I think it no coincidence, my husband just changed the password on line to his business account. 
      I have not been able to access that account on line since I confronted him about the affair and I filed for divorce.  I believe once I study the records, they will show a transfer of funds.  I am seeing nothing usual in our personal joint account.
     I know her name and address and I do not know her bank.
     Is there any way to find this information out? Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely yours,
Woman Scorned
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Woman Scorned:

I am so sorry you are going through this. I am also sorry I can not help you here.
Bank account information is  protected by federal privacy laws among other things.
So you would be violating the law by even attempting to access this woman's private banking info.
And if even if you did find out he has been transferring money to her,  not only would your husband's attorney go for the jugular on your violation of her rights, you could end up in with a whole lot more legal trouble than you have now.

Were or are you a co-signer on your soon-to-ex husband's business accounts? If so, perhaps you can find print-outs in a file cabinet if he still receives paper statements. Or perhaps you could discuss this with your divorce attorney and these records could be accessed via subpeona?
If he spent your collective money on her, fraud could be a viable consideration in the final divorce settlement.

There are forensic accountants who can be quite helpful in such circumstances. You must measure (and discuss with your attorney) whether an investment in such an expert would be worthwhile.

I wish you stability and sanity during this trying time. Divorce is no fun for anyone.

Sincerely,
Your Private Eye

Questions? Comments? Concerns?  Write me at dearprivateeye@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment