Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Most Unusual Murder Defense

I recall my days working at the Public Defender. That's where I trained and honed my skills as an intern criminal investigator ...who ultimately moved up the ranks... from misdemeanors, to felonies, to homicides, murders, mass murders and the unspeakable stuff that happens to kids.

In the office I worked there were 90 Public Defenders, so you can imagine the caseloads.

At first, I caught the same fever Criminal Defense Investigators catch when you are representing the poor, the indigent, the voiceless.

Justice is often served to the criminally accused who are rich enough to hire a private Criminal Defense attorney on a silver platter.
To others thrown into the  justice arena called Public Defender or Federal Defender pool, newbie investigators like me, back then, got a big dose of reality fast.

My  initial and natural defense technique was to become an understanding, sympathetic investigator for the accused, our clients.

Key question  I asked every Public Defender in every case: "What's the defense?"

So... sure,  I told myself.... that kid may have killed her father. But wasn't abusing her and her mother? It was self defense,

And yes... I understand our client held up a convenience store and shot the clerk in the arm,  but that was only after the clerk's husband called him a racist name and  hit him with a tire iron.

Okay...  I saw the footage from the bar where  my client slashed your client, the victim, in the face seven times with a razor blade in ront of nine witnesses... however, what you didn't hear was what the victim dissed our client's mama.    `

And sure, our guy walked into the school with a loaded gun and shot a few people, it's just that he was so bullied as a kid... his parents  divorce was so contentious... and his father left his gun collection unlocked.

For every offense, there is a defense.
 
My favorite  defense, when something close to  credible wasn't a possibility, was and always has been the SODDI defense. Some Other Dude Did It.  That always works well unless the smoking gun is in your client's hand

That is until I came across this link I found through the PI Newswire.

Okay, so here's the case d'jour:
Man kills wife and mother.
His defense?
Read this link and  then answer the following question:

Are you kidding me?

http://www.wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12017338

No comments:

Post a Comment