Friday, September 18, 2009

Writers Beware: Conned by the Con Man

Conned by the con man. It happens to the best of us. Myself included.

You see, I have been writing this blog since April. It is an interesting read to a few people who have become readers, followers and Facebook friends. I suppose the interest in this blog is two fold -- I am a full time Private Investigator who writes about real cases in an easy to read way.

So I get responses to this blog. From readers and professionals.

One agent and publisher who contacted me and wanted to publish my blog turned out to be a scam artist I didn't see coming. I almost fell for them -- hook, line and sinker.

The thing is, they seemed so real, so credible, so believable... even this private investigator was lured, flattered and almost hooked.

Were it not for the investigations, and then intervention, of my two dear sisters -- who I sent the emails to -- I might have easily lost my investigative mind and bitten at this dude's bait without looking first, at what was really on the line.

Bottom line, if you are a writer and you think writing is a way to make major money fast, forget about it. It must be a passion that may or may not payoff. You must work with a legitimate agent and a legitimate company. Or you must self publish with a reputable company.

Do not quit your day job when you are thinking of writing unless you can afford to. Or are fortunate enough to have a patron of your arts.

Now...
Please... clink of the title of this blog.
It will take you to a fake blog someone built about the leader of this illegal literary gang. His name, the bad guy, is Robert Fletcher.

I'm also attempting to add an additional link to this blog that provides further info.
That's not working because I am stopped by e-blogger when I try to post the links.
I want to find the original ad that sucked me in, so no other writer gets sucked in either.

I know we all have a writer in us. This warning goes to the writer who is stepping outside, pen in hand (or fingers on keyboard) and putting it all on the line.

For now, the investigator in me is humbled.
And the writer in me is worried about all the other writers out there who are being robbed, financially and emotionally, by guys like Fletcher.

2 comments:

  1. I once sent a query letter to an agent and he offered to take on my work. It was one of many query letters. Just getting a positive reply was a big thrill. But I needed to pay him for copies and everyone will tell you, never pay and agent.

    All the guy did was take the writers' money, make copies and just send out the manuscripts. He loses nothing and if someone bites on the book, he gets 15 percent. This was ten years ago and the web wasn't as active as it is today, but I did find negative posts about him. I never sent him his money.

    On the other hand, I answered a Craig's List ad looking for someone in my field. I responded and they emailed me back. It was a reputable company with hundreds of books to its credit. I did the work and cashed their check. With any luck there will be royalties. Enough for a trip to Starbucks.

    As you say, don't quit your day job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wise words, wise one. you'd think i'd know better. i plan to be expand my detective business exponentially. and writing, as i do, for creative/therapeutic reasons other than the pot of gold at the end of some rainbow in my head.
    at some point these blogs may be published in a book. if not, maybe one person, or a lot, will get something out them that helps in some way. thanks, as always, for your feedback david.

    ReplyDelete